Pages

Friday, April 11, 2014

Tiramisu

This was my first time making Tiramisu. I will admit, the thought of making it myself as always scared me a little. I think I have always just thought of it as a challenging dessert and veered away from it for that reason. There are recipes that include eggs yolks which I do think are a little more tricky, but after finding a few they mainly have whipping cream and marscapone it seemed a lot more manageable.

Instead of making the Tiramisu in a glass baking dish as you often see. I wanted to do something that looked a little more fancy so I decided to make it in a round spring form pan and place lady finders around the outside. I learned a few things the hard way, but outlined those lessons in my directions so hopefully your dessert experience will run a little smoother.

So be brave and try making a scarey dessert....or least find a less intimidating variation. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

    • 4 cups of whipping cream
    • 2.5 cups of mascarpone cheese
    • 2-3 tbsp of sugar
    • 1 tsp of vanilla
    • 1/4 cup of Amaretto
    • 1 cup of strong coffee, cooled
    • 5 packages of ladyfingers
    • Cocoa for dusting 

    1. Make a cup of coffee and set aside.

    2. Prepare the whipping cream with the sugar and vanilla. Add in the mascarpone cheese and beat until well combined. Add in the Amaretto. At this point I would taste test, if needed, add more sugar, Amaretto etc. I even added about 2 tbsps. of Baileys to enhance the coffee flavor.

    3. In a 9 inch spring form pan dollop some of the cream mixture around the outer edge of the bottom of the pan. This will act as the glue to keep the cookies in place. Then stand the cookies up one by one (sugar side out) along the edge of the pan until you have a complete circle. It’s okay if your cookies are longer then the pan, it just means it will be taller…nothing wrong with that! ;)


    4. Place a layer of cookies on the bottom of the pan, you may to break a few to cover the space. Using a brush, coat the cookies with the coffee. Don’t drench them otherwise they will get soggy, but make sure they all get a good coat. Then spread a layer of the cream mixture and continue alternating layers (brushing cookies with coffee each time) until you reach the top of the pan or cookie line. Finish with the cream layer. Refrigerate overnight or at least for 4 hours. Dust cocoa powder on the top before serving. (And of course remove the spring form ring)


      No comments:

      Post a Comment