Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Apple Cheddar Scones


Once I get an idea in my head it stays there. So once some brought up the old apple pie with cheddar cheese combo, I thought about it day and night. Instead of trying my hand at a pie (I’m terrible with pastry) I decided I would just whip some apple cheddar scones. I adjusted my handy versatile scone recipe that use all the time and it worked wonderfully.

  • 2 cups of white flour
  • 1 tbsp of white sugar
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • ½ tsp of cinnamon
  • ½ tsp of salt
  • 1 stick of cold butter, cut into cubes
  • 2 small apples, peeled and cut into small pieces
  • Old cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes + 8 pieces sliced thinly
  • 1 cup of buttermilk (make your own by adding 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.

2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt into a large mixing bowl and combine.

3. Toss in the cubes of butter and use your fingers to rub in the butter with the mixture until well combined. It should resemble a course meal.

4. Add the apples and cheese cubes, mix until combined.

6. Pour the buttermilk into the dry mixture then use both your hands to mix them together and form into a ball of dough, then pat into a 8 inch circle about 3/4 inch thick,

7. Cut into 8 triangles, place on the baking sheet and bake, when the scones are golden and almost done, place a piece of cheese on top of each and bake until cheese gets melted and crisp. Approx 18 mins total.

No comments:

Post a Comment