Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sponge Toffee

I think the "Crunchie" is one of the most underrated chocolate bars out there. I always forgot how good they were until Halloween came along, and they were always the first to go.


This was my first attempt at ever making sponge toffee. Three ingredients, seemed simple enough.
Boy was I wrong! I made it twice because my first batch didn't expand into an airy crunchy candy, rather it was a hard, dense, flat as a rock failure. My motivation must have been high today because hardened sugar on pots is a b*$%# to clean up, and I was willing to do it twice. Thank goodness the second batch was better! However, I did learn some vary valuable lessons.
Lesson #1 - Always read all reviews below a recipe you find online attempting. Lesson #2 - ALWAYS read all reviews below a recipe you find online before attempting.

After revising the recipe and having success, I got brave and even melted some milk chocolate to dip some of the pieces in. Look out Marta Stewart! ;)

Below is my modified recipe, please learn from my mistakes.
  • 2 1/2 cups of white sugar
  • 2/3  cup of white corn syrup
  • 1/3 cup of water
  • 4 tsp of baking soda
  • milk or dark chocolate chips (optional)
1. In a large sauce pan, mix together the sugar, corn syrup and water. prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by lining with tin foil. Measure out the baking soda and set aside.

2. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Do not stir, just use run a spoon along the edges of the pan. Continue until a candy thermometer reaches the hard crack stage (300 degrees F) The syrup MUST be at the hard crack stage for this to work. Otherwise the toffee might not expand, or could be gummy on the inside.

3. Quickly incorporate the baking soda with a whisk. Do not over mix. Immediately pour into prepared baking dish. The toffee should expand in the dish.

4. Let the toffee cool, and then break into pieces. Dip in melted chocolate if desired.
Store in an airtight container.

https://sites.google.com/site/receipesfromlifehappens/sponge-toffee?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1

No comments:

Post a Comment